Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Film Review : Avatar

Avatar officially is considered the highest gross film in the history of Cinema despite the fact those who claim so did not consider the economic factors from recession and inflation comparing with other successful films in the history of cinema like its elder brother "Titanic". Anyhow as millions of viewers around the world I went to see Avatar and discover for the first time the new 3D filming technology in Cinema.

I was waiting for Avatar since its trailer release last year and I think I was not alone. Avatar_2009 People wanted to see what James Cameron described as the project of his life after the real blockbuster Titanic. Cameron's life project was for sure interesting , it is the most expensive thing Hollywood would present with promises to turn the cinema industry up side down with the new 3D technology. It was not the first 3D film in the world but Cameron promised the world with something totally new and great. Still in the early critics previews there were lots of suspicion that this would be one of Hollywood's biggest flops like Water world and cutthroat island "great soundtrack though" thanks to its storyline but for somehow their expectations did not come true thanks to the people's curiosity and their admiration with Pandora's beauty.

I watched the film in Galaxy cinema theater complex and honestly I thought that I was going to be really astonished due to the huge publicity and praising opinions "mostly". The visual effects are for sure stunning , you do not want to leave Pandora, you want to touch these flowers , you want to walk on this grass so it would light up in the night.avatar2

The messages of the film are great whether from the ecological point of view or from the ethical point of view or from the political point of view yet these messages could have been presented in better way ,in a better story.

Since the beginning of the film you know what was going to happen all the way , there were no surprises except may be very very very very few and I mean it. Cameron excreted a huge effort in everything except in the story. There are no twists unlike for instance Star wars. I could not keep my mind from comparing Star wars with Avatar despite Lucas' masterpiece is longer and bigger but its story is more amusing.

Regarding the actors , well I like Sam Worthington so much , it seems that Australia is insisting to amuse the world with its actors. I was so happy  to see Sigourney Weaver again with Cameron. Michelle Rodriguez should change her roles from time to time , I know there are rumors about her sexuality but even Jody Foster diversifies her choices. I love Giovanni Ribisi , he is from the best supporting actors in Hollywood now. his words "What do you drink people !!??" It Summarized every thing.

I will not recommend you not to see it but I recommend that you do not expect much from it , it is not Gone with the wind nor Lawrence of Arabia , Watch it in order to see wonderful visual effects that can't be seen in your HD TV .

Of course I can't ignore the Palestinian Nav'iS protest in the west bank , hopefully the Palestinians will be able to restore their land just like the Nav'i

2 comments:

  1. "Of course I can't ignore the Palestinian Nav'iS protest in the west bank, hopefully the Palestinians will be able to restore their land just like the Nav'i"

    Exatly what I thought of when I watched the movie :)
    Thanks for the nice review unfortunately I watched it home and now I can tell all that fuzz was truly about the 3d visual effects. Not that I didn’t enjoy it but it didn’t wow me really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zeinobia can you please outline the borders of the Palestinians' land. Where does it start and where does it end?

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.